Zaandijk is a picturesque village in the municipality of Zaanstad in the province of North Holland. Zaandijk is located on the Zaan, directly across from the Zaanse Schans. There are a few working windmills in the town.
Zaandijk, like many other villages in the Zaan region, retains a significant number of the traditional wooden houses of the region. In this area, one can find one of the densest concentrations of green-painted wooden houses in the entire region. Oud-Zaandijk and Rooswijk are the two parts of the village that make up the whole. The town of Oud-Zaandijk is surrounded by a conservation area. The flour mill De Bleeke Dood, which has been in operation since 1656, is the oldest still in operation in the Netherlands. The Zaansche Molen association currently owns and operates this mill.
The Zaanse Schans is located on the opposite bank of the Zaan. This is one of the most famous open-air attractions in the Netherlands, drawing in many visitors each year. There are several different wooden houses to choose from in this area. Over the years, homes from all over the Zaan region have been brought together to form this community. Another attraction is the bakery museum, housed in an old clog factory, and the Zaanse Schans Museum. The numerous windmills on display at this open-air museum are the main attraction. These mills are open for visitors to tour almost all year round for a small fee. The mills are kept in working order with the money earned from tours and tourists.
For its monumental historic buildings on the Lagedijk and the Zaanse timber buildings with their traditional green facades, such as those in the Domineestuin, Zaandijk is world-renowned for its architectural treasures. Zaandijk is less well-known for its contemporary architecture, found in Rooswijk Noord.
Zaan is a former independent municipality located in the heart of the Zaan region in the Netherlands. Since the first day of January 1974, it has been a part of the municipality of Zaanstad. For a long time, the administrative center of the new city was located in Zaandijk, the Netherlands (Bannehof). Zaandijk is one of the latest villages in the Zaan region, having been established in 2011.
When Hendrik Pietersz, later known as Oud-Hein, applied for permission to build a house on a low dike along the Zaan in 1494, the sheriff and aldermen of the Banne of Westzanen granted him their approval. Following that, a hamlet was established here, named Broers, in honor of Oud-five Hein’s sons. Even as early as the 17th century, this was the name given to the town of Zaandijk. The village developed into one of the most prosperous municipalities in the province of Zaan. The Gortershoek, located on the Zaan, directly across from the Zaanse Schans, is still a testament to this. The village has attempted to join with one or more neighboring municipalities more than once, and the most recent attempt was in 2009. As a result of their adamant opposition to the development, the town council and its residents adopted the slogan “Zaandijk must remain Zaandijk.”
The population has again voiced opposition to the merger with Zaanstad, though this time in vain. However, both in church and in club life, there was always a positive relationship between Koog and the other members. In addition, the neighboring municipalities shared a typical railway station and a post office, both of which were located on Koogs territory.
Due to its organizational affiliation with the Banne van Westzanen until 1811, the village of Zaandijk was unable to claim its own coat of arms. An official municipal coat of arms, based on the banner coat of arms, was adopted in 1816. The colors of the lions and fields were switched, resulting in the following coat of arms: ‘Divided; in the first and fourth quarters, a lion of the throat (red) in a silver field, and in the second and third quarters, a silver lion in a throat field.’ They are facing each other,’ says one of the lions. As a result, the description of the High Council of Nobility is accurate.
Surface area are important considerations.
Zaandijk was one of the smallest villages in the region, occupying a total land area of 209 hectares. As a result of its geographical location between the Zaan and its neighboring rivers, the boundaries of Zaandijk were so firmly established that they did not change. Except for the Zaan, the edges were defined by the Watermolensloot, the Watering, and the Begin- or Bagijnsloot.